Among Riyadh’s tourist attractions, the Royal Saudi Air Force Museum showcases the remarkable engineering and design behind the gigantic aircraft. This historical museum takes visitors on a tour of the flawless tale of Riyadh’s air force from the 1920s to the present. Upon entering, visitors will pass through a massive exhibition filled with armaments, air force uniforms, and small aircraft models.
There is a guided tour to a magnificent vintage area with a collection of antique airships that are no longer in operation. Tourists may also experience a 3D performance with moving chairs and fascinating displays designed to help them learn more about the science of aircraft engineering.
Take beautiful photos with these model airplanes while exploring the captivating museum in a way that is both educational and fascinating.
Aviation Museum General Information
Aviation Museum’s location: Saqr Aljazeera Aviation Museum or Royal Saudi Air Force Museum, Eastern Ring Branch Road, King Abdullah, Riyadh 12451
Aviation Museum’s timings: The museum is open six days a week. Monday to Sunday: 9 am to 9 pm; Closed on Tuesday
Aviation Museum’s ticket price: 10 SAR per adult
How to reach there: The best way to get to the Aviation Museum in Riyadh is by taking an Uber or a cab.
Displays at Aviation Museum Riyadh
Exhibits in the display halls include souvenirs from RSAF’s history, aircraft engines and weaponry, insignia, uniforms, and decorations, as well as a special display on Prince Sultan bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the first Saudi in space, who represented on the Shuttle Program Discovery during mission STS-51-G as a payload specialist.
Top attractions in the Aviation Museum:
1. BAC Lightning F53
The English Electric Lightning is a British fighter aircraft used as an interceptor throughout the 1960s, 1970s, and early 1980s. It is still the only fighter capable of Mach 2 conceived and manufactured in the United Kingdom. English Electric, which was ultimately incorporated into the newly established British Aircraft Corporation, conceived, developed, and constructed the Lightning. The type was later sold as the BAC Lightning.
2. Bell UH-1
The Bell UH-1 Iroquois (nicknamed “Huey”) is an American utility military helicopter designed and manufactured by Bell Helicopter. It is the first member of the illustrious Huey family and the initial turbine-powered chopper in US military service.
3. The de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk
The de Havilland Canada DHC-1 Chipmunk is a dual, two-seat, single-engine main transport aircraft designed and manufactured in Canada by de Havilland Canada. It was designed after WWII and sold in significant numbers in the immediate postwar years, mostly as a substitute for the de Havilland Tiger Moth biplane.
4. Hawker Hunter F Mk60
Hawker Hunter is a British transonic jet-powered fighter aircraft designed by Hawker Aircraft for the Royal Air Force (RAF) in the late 1940s and early 1950s. It was the first jet-powered aircraft created by Hawker to be acquired by the RAF, and it was designed to use the newly developed Rolls-Royce Avon turbojet engine and the sweeping wing. The modified initial prototype set the world air speed record for airplanes on September 7, 1953, with a speed of 727.63 mph.
5. Northrop F5-E
The Northrop F-5 is a series of supersonic light jet fighters developed by Northrop Corporation as a privately sponsored project in the late 1950s. The two primary models are the original F-5A and F-5B Freedom Fighter versions, as well as the heavily modified F-5E and F-5F Tiger II variants. The F-5 is a popular export aircraft since it is smaller and simpler than competitors such as the McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II.
Suggested Read: 7 Museums In Riyadh To Learn The History Of Saudi Arabia
Aviation Museum Riyadh Nearby Eateries
After the fascinating tour around the museum, there are many famous eateries around Aviation Museum Riyadh to choose from. A few of them are:
- Oxar Prime Steakhall: This restaurant is famous for its steaks, barbeque, and American grills. Drinks are also served here. The cost for 2 is around 220 SAR.
- Kunefeci: This restaurant is famous for its steaks, barbeque, and American grills. Drinks are also served here. The cost for 2 is around 220 SAR.
- La Brasserie: La Brasserie serves hot and fresh food from a diverse international cuisine. The restaurant offers plenty of delicacies to vegetarians, non-vegetarians, and vegans. The average dining cost for two should be around 200 SAR.
Things to keep in mind while visiting the Aviation Museum Riyadh
- The most popular time to visit Saqer-Aljazirah Aviation Museum is around 2 pm – 3 pm
- Visitors need around 2 hours to tour the entire aviation museum with a guided tour.
- The busiest days at Saqer-Aljazirah Aviation Museum are weekdays. Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday are mostly the busiest.
- The museum is located near an air base on the eastern side of Riyadh, and there are no public transportation options, so take an Uber.
Aviation Museum Riyadh Highlights
- Admire and be amazed by the fighter jets on show at the museum.
- Visit the unique exhibit on Prince Sultan bin Salman bin Abdulaziz Al Saud, the first Saudi man to fly to space.
- Take a stroll through history to see the uniforms and insignia of former military officers.
- Enjoy the toy plane exhibit, which is preserved for the amusement of younger visitors.
- Attend a 4D aviation display at the museum to see history come to life.
The Royal Saudi Air Force Museum, a notable historical site in the city, maintains the country’s aeronautical heritage within its walls. It is one of Riyadh’s major museums, presenting the history of the Air Force from its start in the 1920s to the present day. The museum has both an outdoor park and an inside display center. Exhibits include airline fighters, helicopters, military insignia, and other fighter jet models.
Suggested Read: Top 12 Museums Of Saudi Arabia To Visit With Family
Aviation Museum Riyadh FAQs
When was the Aviation Museum Riyadh established?
The Riyadh National Museum was finished on 24th January 1999.
How long is it going to take to go through the entire museum?
It will take an average tourist around 2 to 3 hours to go through the Aviation Museum Riyadh.
What are the ticket prices for the Aviation Museum Riyadh?
The price of the tickets to the Aviation Museum Riyadh is around 10 SAR per adult.
How to reach the Aviation Museum Riyadh?
The museum is located near an air base on the eastern side of Riyadh, and there are no public transportation options, so be sure to take a cab or an Uber to save time and energy.
Is pre-booking allowed for the museum tours?
Yes, it is recommended to make your booking of museum tours in advance to be able to avoid inconvenience.