Umrah in Ramadan has a lot of spiritual value for Muslims. Umrah, considered a minor pilgrimage, is believed to bring peace and enable the pilgrims to earn blessings and rewards from Allah, in this life and hereafter. Considered a lesser form of Hajj, Umrah is not obligatory as Hajj is, and can be performed any time of the year.
Ramadan is considered the holiest month in the Islamic calendar where Allah (SWT) revealed the first surah’s of the Holy Quran to Prophet Mohammed (P.B.U.H.). In this month Muslims fast from dawn to dusk thus practising the Islamic beliefs of disciplining their selves, exercising self-control, sacrifice and empathy. By offering prayers they seek refuge in Allah, do good deeds seeking rewards and blessings from the god. Performing Umrah in Ramadan has enormous religious value and significance and here will take you through the rituals that a pilgrim needs to perform.
Performing Umrah: Important Rituals for all Pilgrims
- Umrah starts by assuming Ihram, which includes cleaning oneself thoroughly, taking a complete bath, and changing into two white sheets of unstitched cloth. For women, a plain regular stitched dress is allowed.
- Tawaf, the next ritual requires pilgrims to enter the Masjid-al-Haram with their right foot and go around the Kaaba seven times counter-clock.
- It is followed by Sa’i, where pilgrims climb up the hill of ‘Safa’ and walk towards ‘Marwa’ reciting supplications.
- The last step of Umrah includes the shaving off the head. Women need to cut their hair short instead of shaving them.
Benefits of Performing Umrah in Ramadan
According to Islamic belief, those who leave home intending to perform Umrah is a pilgrim until they return; and if they die during this pilgrimage, will be rewarded with the entry to the paradise. Every year, millions of Muslims visit Makkah to seek refuge in Allah, seek forgiveness, cleanse their sins, and pray for happiness and prosperity. And as they perform the prayers together at Umrah, the congregation is truly a sight to behold.
During this spiritual journey, pilgrims leave all negativity behind and devote themselves to the service and worship of Allah. They dedicate themselves to cleanse their mind, body and soul, and become better human beings. It is believed that whoever performs Umrah with pure intentions and a heart full of gratitude, earns the highest pleasure of Allah.
Things to do before Going for Umrah in Ramadan
Every Muslim desires and deserves to visit Makkah and perform all the rituals of Umrah. There are several things to know and do before going for Umrah during Ramadan, or any other month.
- Visa Validity: For travelling to Makkah for Umrah, Saudi Arabia issues a special Visa to the pilgrims. On the basis of this Visa, they can explore this holy city within 30 days from the date of issue.
- Hotel & Flight: Fares may vary depending upon the season. It is advised to make the bookings well in time to avoid last minute hassle.
- Umrah Rituals: If going to Umrah for the first time, it is important to connect with scholars who can provide guidance on how to perform Umrah. Pilgrims should be aware of the key Umrah rituals, and have clarity on dos and don’ts.
- Physical & Spiritual Readiness: Umrah during Ramadan is not just another journey. It is a pilgrimage that demands physical and spiritual readiness. Pilgrims often walk long miles in hot and humid conditions. It is important to be fit, eat right, and be devoted to the Almighty. Duas made with pure intentions are accepted; it is advised to make a list of duas for your loved ones.
- Places to Visit: While in Makkah, pilgrims must not miss visiting other places of religious significance in Makkah. With precise planning, a few sites can definitely be covered depending upon the duration of visit.
Umrah during Ramadan is as good as performing Hajj. It is the best way to multiply your rewards and blessings.
Umrah In Ramadan FAQs
What is the significance of going for Umrah during Ramadan?
Umrah in Ramadan has a great deal of ethereal value for Muslims as Umrah basically is a minor pilgrimage that brings peace. It enables the pilgrims to earn blessings and rewards from Allah, in this life and hereafter.
What is Ihram?
Ihram is the beginning step of the pilgrimage, which involves every person cleaning themselves thoroughly and taking a complete bath. After which, a man needs to change into two white sheets of unstitched cloth. For women, a plain regular stitched dress is allowed.
What are the benefits of Umrah in Ramadan?
This spiritual journey uplifts the spirit of an individual, and purifies the mind and soul. Also, it is strongly believed that whoever performs Umrah with benevolence and a heart full of thankfulness achieves the highest pleasure of Allah.
How to prepare for a trip to Makkah for Umrah in Ramadan?
For traveling to Makkah for Umrah, Saudi Arabia issues a special Visa to pilgrims. With this Visa, pilgrims can explore the holy destination within 30 days from the date of issue. It is suggested to pre-book hotels and flights well in time to avoid inconvenience at the end moment and get the best deals.
What is the best time to perform Umrah before Ramadan?
Usually, people choose grand months (months followed by Hajj season), i.e., Muharram and Safar, to perform Umrah. The mosque is very crowded during the Hajj season since it is to be performed just one time each year. With the end of the Hajj season, the rush of the pilgrims and the costs of accommodations and airfares slice down to half.