Riyadh, the capital of Saudi Arabia, welcomes tourists from around the world. Due to its traditional roots and modern influence, Riyadh offers exciting and thrilling activities. When it comes to adventure, the city is filled with activities that test the limits of the sky and the thrill of the ground. One such activity that leaves people with amazement and scared at the same time is paragliding. The participants discover the rush of the wind against their faces and explore the panoramic views of the surroundings from high above the ground. The exceptional experience is enough to dare oneself to indulge in the thrilling activity.
What is paragliding?
Paragliding is a recreational activity that involves foot-launched gliders, usually with a tourist and an expert. The launch is typically done on foot where the riders have to run down the hill. The inflated wing-like structure helps the glider to take flight against the wind and assist in maneuvering it as per the requirements. The tourist is tied with the glider along with the pilot who controls it for a safe flight. Paragliding necessitates training to ensure safety during takeoff, flight, and landing. Landings are controlled using leg movements with gentle descents. As an adventurous sport, paragliding provides enthusiasts with an unparalleled, immersive experience of soaring above landscapes, making it a popular choice for those seeking both adrenaline and scenic beauty.
Beginners vs experts
Paragliding is appropriate for both beginners and expert flyers. Though expert paragliders tend to experience the advanced fund and thrill, beginners are not far behind. Let us see both of the experiences.
Beginners: Amateurs who have little to no experience in paragliding, can opt for flights with certified experts. The former are provided with mandatory training about the basics of paragliding. The glider is specially made to accommodate two people so experts accompany the beginner for a safe flight and enhance the overall experience.
Experts: On the flip side of the coin, expert flyers chose to fly alone. However, in Riyadh, you would require a paragliding certificate to soar in the sky on your own. Expert paragliders make use of the air current to perform various aerobatic maneuvers during the flight. The passion takes over the experience for such flyers making them the experts in paragliding.
Paragliding in Riyadh: In A Glimpse
Red Sands: Paragliding in Riyadh
One of the best places to experience paragliding in Riyadh, Red Sands provides the appropriate environment to soar high. The thermal activity in the wind helps gliders offer better and higher flights than it is anywhere else. Due to the hot temperature, the air in the location tends to provide better lift during the takeoff and while the glider is in the air. Additionally, the dunes in the desert mimic the downhill scenario for the glider to take off easily. Arabia is known for its desert and the mystique around it. Flyers get to experience the majestic desert and its changing textures as per the geography.
Prices: 60-65 USD
How to reach: The desert is located 30-45 minutes south of Riyadh towards the edge of the desert. One can easily reach the location via taxi or private vehicles.
Suggested Read: 17 Top Things To Do In Riyadh: Family And Adventure Activities
Preparation for paragliding
- Seek professional training from certified instructors
- Learn equipment usage, launch techniques, and emergency procedures
- Stay informed about local weather conditions
- Regularly inspect paragliding equipment for proper functionality
- Choose appropriate launch sites based on skill level
- Wear certified safety gear, including a helmet and harness
- Conduct thorough pre-flight checks before each session
- Practice controlled takeoffs and landings
- Maintain good physical fitness for the demands of paragliding
- Adhere to local aviation regulations and obtain necessary permits
- Engage in ongoing training to enhance skills
Precautions to take during paragliding
- Avoid flying in strong winds, thunderstorms, or turbulent weather
- Verify wing, harness, lines, and reserve parachute are in working condition
- Opt for clear takeoff and landing areas, avoiding crowded spaces
- Dress in layers for comfort and protection against varying weather conditions
- Execute smooth landings, avoiding abrupt movements
- Familiarize yourself with emergency protocols
- Practice deploying the reserve parachute during training
- Strengthen core muscles for better control during flight
- Adhere to local aviation regulations and airspace restrictions
- Stay updated on new techniques and safety guidelines
Paragliding in Riyadh is a one-of-a-kind experience for thrill seekers and adventure enthusiasts. The beautiful landscape seen from the sky and the magnanimous sand makes the experience all the more alluring. Though the sport is exciting, it is important to perform it under expert guidance.
Suggested Read: Snow City Riyadh: Location, Tickets And Fun Things To Do
Paragliding In Riyadh FAQs
What is paragliding, and how does it work?
Paragliding is a recreational activity involving gliders, typically carrying a tourist and an expert. The glider, with a wing-like structure, takes flight against the wind, and the pilot controls its movement.
Where is the best place for paragliding in Riyadh?
Red Sands is the best place for paragliding in Riyadh.
Why is paragliding in Riyadh considered a unique experience?
The panoramic views of the landscape and the vast desert make the experience of paragliding in Riyadh as a unique one.